Old 06-26-2009, 10:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sugah
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Some time ago, our meeting format was updated to include a statement asking that everyone refrain from repeating the names of the people who've attended and what they've shared. This was not a group conscience decision, and a lot of members were uncomfortable with it, so over the course of time, each chair went with his or her own conscience and spoke the line in a different way. It was often stated, "If you've heard something of value to you, please respect the anonymity of the person who said it when you discuss it with others." Etc., etc., etc. That was fine for the home group members who'd been around awhile, but we had some newer home group members who wanted an opportunity to chair, and they often stumbled on the line.

I was charged about a week or so ago in updating the format to more accurately reflect the group conscience. This is how that section shook out:

"AA as a whole seeks to ensure that individual members stay as private and protected as they wish. Please place principles before personalities when sharing what you’ve learned and eliminate the names of those who’ve attended unless you are sure they would not mind."

The italicized line comes directly from "Understanding Anonymity." I personally don't care who says what about what I say or share, but I know that my view is not shared by everyone. So, the above was our compromise. Already in the few meetings we've used it, folks (non-home group members) have offered positive feedback. We're not a secret society, folks.

Peace & Love,
Sugah