View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 06:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
tyler
Not all better, getting better

Originally Posted by Cubile75 View Post
Hmm...

That brings up a good point... Because in the long run we want to be happy sober... Now maybe in the short run, I'll accept some unhappy sober stretches.

I felt like that was the best I could muster, I'm not sure I'd be on this path of recovery.

Please realize, I'm not being critical, just bringing up the point that we are all here seeking happy sobriety.

Mark
Probably wasn't clear enough on that. Just as happy drunk is a temporary state, hopefully so is unhappy sober. I think there are very few who stopped drinking and from day one were absolutely delighted with their new lives. There may be a lucky few, but I most of us have, if nothing else had to deal with the wreckage our drinking/drugging left behind, not to mention chemical imballances in our brains.

Depression often follows stopping substance abuse. Your body had become dependant on the substance for it's "happieness", take away that substance, no more happieness. I usually comes back, but sometimes permanant damage has been done, sometimes there was an imballance to begin with. Some, not all, require medications to help with this imballance. That is up to a quailfied professional to help decide. Hope this clairifies my statement a bit.