View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009, 02:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
chip

Welcome, unknown.

As it's been said, early sobriety isn't much fun. It will get better. "this too shall pass".

I hope you can find some strength from knowing that you are not alone. SR is a great place to meet others who have the same struggle. AA helps many people as well.

If you stay sober, at some point, you will begin to reap the rewards of sobriety. There will be pain and suffering....but it is better than dying. Life is life, and it can be both crappy and wonderful. The rewards of sobriety can be subtle. Gaining the ability to live life on life's terms, with no mind altering subtances, requires growth that will benifit other parts of your life as well. Alcoholism lead to death if you keep drinking. I hope you can continue to live in the solution, and find life after drinking.

Finding others who have the same struggle, and sticking with them, will help you. I encourage you to try going to an AA meeting. AA isn't for everyone, but it does help millions of people. Just being in a room full of sober alcoholics can provide encouragement and inspiration when things are tough. It's good to find others who understand.

Many of us went through hell when we stopped drinking. When I stopped, drinking was the focus of my life. I felt empty and crappy all the time when I first stopped. It was tough to let go of my only coping mechanism. Through AA, I was able to find new tools to cope with and deal with life. I hope you can find a new way of living as well.

Congrats on 5 days of sobriety. I hope you will stick with it. One day at a time, it will get better if you keep working at it.
chip