Old 05-14-2009, 01:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
serenityqueen
Attitude of Gratitude

I had been in the hospital several times for alcohol detox and every time I was pretty much medicated to where I had minimal symptoms. The staff is trained to come in about every 4 - 6 hours to access you. They look for a variety of different symptoms, check your blood pressure, pulse . . .Then they add the symptoms up that you are displaying and there is a scale called a SEWA scale where they score different symptoms and medicate accordingly.From my understanding, most hospitals use the SEWA scale. I'm not sure how to post links here, but I Gooled SEWA Scale and the results were right there. This can explain it more in detail.

Believe me, detox in the hospital is nothing like at home going cold turkey. The key to detox, as with anything in Recovery, is being honest with the doctors and nurses about how much you are drinking, what you are drinking and how often.

Believe me, it's not like the horror stories you hear about. You are medicated and to be honest, I slept quite a bit because of the meds. Also I was always given what they refer to as a banana bag, an IV filled with vitamins and minerals that made me feel a lot better pretty fast. Most times an IV is in place to give you plenty of fluids and some times your meds are given in the form of an IV.

God Bless,
Judy