View Single Post
Old 05-11-2004, 06:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Gooch

While I agree with your points Richie, I also have to continually recheck my state of openmindedness and remember where I came from. Although, we are all ( in my opinion ) suffering from the same condition of addiction, my understanding, my perception is bound to vary by degree from others. Although we are not unique, we are individuals with a differing set of circumstances, and experiences... that is to say while many of us experience almost identical situations and feelings, the order and time frames we experience them in provides a unique, individual, and personalized growth process.

From "What Can I Do?"
Go on to Step Two, and so forth, and as you go on you will come to an understanding of the program for yourself.
This single statement has granted me more acceptance for self and others and explained to me how diversity and unity can coexist.

The poll at the beginning of this thread really made me think.. I can't answer it... or maybe I refuse to answer it.. or maybe I am just not ready to commit myself to a single choice.

The first time I heard the clarity statement, I liked it. I only saw the positive aspect of restating ( for the newcomers benefit) the obvious (to us veterans).

Then I remembered the fella who showed up at a learning day and sat in a meeting, and after identifying himslef as a cross addicted alcoholic, sharing how he really needed a meeting that day, right then and there. He said he was on his way to get loaded and had seen the NA logo on the sign in the parking lot, so he came on in. The next guy to share hit him with the disease of addiction, your not cross addicted, blah blah blah, and before he was done sharing the guy got up and stormed out. I don't know if he went to the bar or not, and if he did I can understand the resentment that helped him make the rest of the trip.

I really can see another value to the clarity statement... maybe just maybe it will remind the veteran that we don't rule, censure, or dictate behaviour or identification.

If these were the perfect words to help the oldtimer stay in touch with humility, openmindedness, and compassion, then I am all for it. If they drive one newcomer back out the door, then i'm against them.