View Single Post
Old 05-10-2004, 11:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Recoveree

Re: Clarity Statements (approved version)

Andy,
Your writing on the “Clarity Statement� shows me an obvious lack of understanding of the principles involved in a 12 step fellowship whose focus is on a disease concept. Anonymity is a key to our survival both as a fellowship and as an individual, as written in the first step. Your writing is well intentioned perhaps, but misguided.
Attached is the Board of Trustees Bulletin from which some of the Clarity Statements were adapted.) There are several versions of the ‘Clarity Statement’ based on this bulletin and even more versions based on other writings. Many groups don't even use the term 'Clarity Statement' anymore, choosing instead the more unifying term 'Identity Statement'.

I think that perhaps the reason so many members don't understand it (the Clarity Statement) is because it is taken out of context. It was not meant to stand on its own, but is just a small part of a larger thought. Please read the whole piece which was written by the then sitting World Service Board of Trustees.

Available here...
http://www.na.org/bulletins/bull13-r.htm

Some comments I have come across on the “Clarity Statement by some NA members.. I have changed the names to protect their anonymity....

ADDICT ONE
The program teaches us to be open minded right from the start. Early impressions are very important to us. What we learn in the first 90 days sets the tone for our recovery for years to come. If we get the impression that all programs are the same or that NA is no different from any other fellowship then we will carry on the practice of separating substances in our minds. This keeps us in the problem of focusing on the symptoms of our disease and not dealing with the disease itself. We will think we have recovery simply through abstinence. While it may be upsetting to a newcomer to question their belief system (especially when it was enforced through a treatment center) it is in my opinion that the sooner they do this the better their chances for real recovery. The statement does this without making a newcomer feel they are being personally confronted or attacked. It is an overall statement of the principles of NA. Something ALL members need to practice.

ADDICT TWO
It takes a lot of time to be able to carry the message of recovery, working the steps, working with new comers, going to meetings, having a power in your life, that power being able to overcome all! Turning to that power, having sincerity in prayer, and having a fellowship that practices its primary purpose is a wonderful place to be, true spiritual principles don’t conflict each other. The primary purpose is not the same, respect the fellowship you are visiting, use their books, words, and ways. Here in NA we don’t put up with the trashing of our home! Sometimes spiritual giants have to turn the tables and "raise hell�. The only thing we have to give away is our way of life, and this is how we live it. We now have a fellowship with years of experience. We don’t have to stay clean with just the little white book THINK GOD!

ADDICT THREE
I think the clarity statement is great. I think it teaches us about unity, not differences. I got clean around the time the Clarity Statement came out. It didn’t offend me. At the time I was a rebel and a "Alcoholic and a Addict". Eventually it helped me to realize, I am an addict, and I suffer from addiction, and am clean today.
So my opinion is that it is good. If I want to focus on what offends other members of the fellowship, I need not look for answers in our literature. When I want the answer to what offends other addicts, I need only look in the mirror.

ADDICT FOUR
What harm is there in clarifying what we already know to be true? Drugs come in all shapes, sizes, colors, And so too, do Addicts. All are inclusive, whether we are old-timers or newcomers. The Clarity Statement is simply to make our unity known, not to separate or distinguish one from the other. May God's Grace be with us all and guide us in our recoveries.

This is the version of the ‘Identity Statement’ that we read at my home group…..

We, the home group members, believe it helps when we use the NA language of recovery in all that we say in this meeting. That is; we prefer to refer to our disease as addiction and identify ourselves as addicts.
We refer to our time in the NA program as clean time or recovery.
We do this because with the first step of NA we have shifted the focus off any specific drug and onto the recovery process leaving us with the single focus necessary for unity.
Any labels which imply specific drugs or more than one disease dilutes that focus and some of the unity called for in NA’s first tradition is lost. This is not something we enforce; we are just letting you know what seems to work for us.

I hope that my post here will at least give some other points of view of the so-called ‘Clarity Statement’. At the very least, I am glad if it furthers some discussion on the state of NA.

Please understand that I do not believe that anyone should dictate any addict's personal program of recovery. I am well aware that there are some addict who attend more than one fellowship. I believe that whatever works for you is what works for you, but I also believe that when you are in a fellowship that has traditions, and a primary purpose and a specific message of recovery, that you follow those traditions and follow that primary purpose and respect that primary purpose.

Some one else said...."when in Rome, do as the Romans do"

Even if you don't believe in a fellowship's disease concept, at least respect it.

Peace and Hugs To You Always…
Richie