Thread: Anti AA?
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 07:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
freya

Actually, I think that's pretty funny about your doctor. If he was really informed about alcoholism and wanted to encourage you to attend AA, he might have had better results from telling you to avoid it like the plague!

But seriously, 12 Step meetings are often held in churches because the rent is cheap. This does not mean the groups are affiliated with the church or with any religion. In fact, the Traditions of AA specifically advise against any such affiliation. From my own experience in 12 Step rooms, I'd have to say that it is the only place I've found where the vast majority of the people involved really mean it when they say that you can take what you like and leave the rest and/or that you not only can, but have to, find a HP of your own understanding.

And you've been reading the opinions of people who have something against AA. Why? Why not read the opinions of people who have something for it? Better yet, why not check it out for yourself -- with an open unbiased mind? By reading the opinions of those who have something against it, you would seem to be deliberately biasing your mind against it. I'm not sure what you would expect to get out of that except maybe contempt prior to honest investigation. In my experience, that is not the approach that anyone who is seriously interested in learing about something takes.

Also, if you are seriously entertaining the idea that AA in any way encourages the idea that "God got you into" your mess, whatever you have been reading and whomever you have been talking to clearly has no understanding of AA whatsoever.

Personally, if I were you, I'd give AA all I had for 90 days and see what happens for me. If you don't think your life is getting better at that point, I hear they absolutely guarantee that they will refund your misery!

freya