Old 04-28-2009, 07:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
worker

Thanks for sharing!

Hi, welcome!

I was really glad you wrote your whole story given that I am experiencing similar issues. I am your same age, my father is an Alk, I have a very promising life, carreer and friends (who praise binge drinking) but I have risked everything (fortunately not lost everything) with my bingedrinking blackouts...I will not bother with any bad stories.

I have just decided to start the journey on Sunday and I am just out of the period you describe of not wanting to have any contact with life due to shame and of the 3 day hang over. Got news for you though...I found out in this forum that the 3 day hang over is actually withdrawal syndrome, read the post on what to expect when you stop drinking; I went through all the symptoms except seizures and realized in was not the first time. It was an eye opener cause I hanged to that criteria that I "did not meet" to think I was not an alcoholic...(yes I know, you need two out of four for dependance but I intepreted as I wanted to hear).

You found a great support; everyone in SR is open to helping you! You will find someone to talk to pretty much 24/7 in the chat section. I am afraid of how to go along with the social life which encourages drinking...I look forward to exchanging strategies to abstain during these gatherings (unless others think this is not a good idea, please comment if so).

Good luck! God bless you and congratulations on your decision!
I am actually very exited of the idea of my sober life as I am sure you are!