Old 04-28-2009, 09:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
serenityqueen
Attitude of Gratitude

First of all, I want to welcome you to SR and thank you for sharing so openly and honestly. No, you're not insane, you're an alcoholic. Most don't find that too comforting but please know that although alcoholism isn't a curable disease, it can be put in remission so to speak. . . and there's plenty of help out there (and on here) with that.

I think the absolute most important thing right now is to contact your doctor or a doctor if you don't have one. Alcohol withdrawls can be very dangerous, many have to be hositalized for a few days where you are detoxed with medications and under close supervision. I binge drank like you do and many times ended up in the hospital when trying to come off a binge. I had seizures which are very dangerous, especially if you live alone.

I've been in Recovery for 3 years 9 months and 3 days to be exact but I remember all too well how you are feeling right now. Please know it is NOT hopeless. . . with the help of AA, a Sponsor, working the Steps and finding a Higher Power/ God of my understanding I am happier than I have ever been. I don't need alcohol or other drugs to be happy, joyous and free from the obsession.

BTW, if you could, when you post, will you break your post down into smaller paragraphs so it's easier to read? I usually post novels nearly everytime I reply and I know smaller paragraphs are easier on the eyes for those who read and offer their experience, strength and hope.

God Bless & Again, Welcome!
Judy