View Single Post
Old 04-25-2009, 01:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
isabelle77

bad inluences, recipe for relapse???

My childhood friend (age 23) has been smoking oxy contin for the last 2 years. She was rarely coming around, so we suspected something, but she always denied it. Her new boyfriend brought it to the attention of her parents and family and organized an intervention. She tried to run out and drive off, but was wrestled to the ground and eventually gave in the the intervention. She admitted she was addicted, but wanted to wait a week before going in to rehab, smoking what she could in the meantime. She made it 2 weeks in rehab before she was kicked out for breaking too many rules.

Her parents are well off and have always spoiled her; gifts, money, a new truck, paying her insurance, cell phone bill, gas card, etc. She is living with her grandma for free now (she had been living there since october) and does not have a job. She said she wants to get one, but really wants to make AA a priority. I am hopeful for that, but where we live there seems to be 10 meetings on the hour, every hour so it seems like more of an excuse to me.

She admitted that she was still talking to her old friends that she would get high with, including the guy that got her hooked on oxy -- claiming she wants to be support for him, even though she hasn't completed the first step yet. Other "friends" have already called her to come out and get high with them, although she said she declined their offer. Since I can remember, she has always been very susceptible to outside influence so I am concernced that she is playing with fire by continuing with these "friendships". When she was discharged from rehab the counselor warned her that she was highly likely to relapse.

Do any of you have a success story --- an addict staying sober even while keeping the bad influences in their life? I just want to be informed. I realize that I can't change her, but regardless of these past 2 years, I still care. It's great to have a site like this for information and support. Thanks so much!