Old 04-22-2009, 05:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
FightingIrish
problem with authority

Hey Ted,

I can identify with you. In my twenties I drank for sociability and to relieve boredom. I didn't drink all the time, but relaxing with some booze in front of the television or with friends definitely relieved the boredom that is part of everyday life. I wonder if sometimes it didn't just come down to a lack of mental discipline...

But I digress. The fact is that, at some point, for some of us, we cross the line. There are varying points of view about whether we are born alcoholics or become that way through repeated and progressive drinking.

There's a great book called "Beyond the Influence" that you might want to read, if you haven't already. It described a lot of the physiological aspects of drinking, addiction to alcohol, and alcoholism, and it also outlines some stages of progression. We each have to decide for ourselves whether we are alcoholic or are likely to become so eventually.

I found this book helpful, even though I had already clearly progressed to the point of full-blown alcoholism. I did wish though that I had read it earlier so I could have made a more informed decision - such as I was able and willing - a lot earlier in my life.

Best to you,
M