Old 04-22-2009, 03:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
tedrogers

Hi all,

I'm new here and this thread caught my attention.

I've been drinking between 4 and 8 cans (depending on size) of strong lager every night pretty much, with a day off here and there, for many years (about 6 years or so).

I've come to realise that I definitely have a problem and so I'm trying to cut down and possibly quit.

I have been to see my GP about it, and we came to the conclusion that I am not an alcoholic, but a problem drinker. I don't really want to quit because I enjoy it, like I used to enjoy smoking, but I decided that was going to kill me so I should probably quit alcohol too, or at least cut down massively.

So here I am now, trying not to drink mid-week and to go easy at the weekends, and I just feel really low and depressed, so much so that it is affecting my relationship a little.

I'm the kind of person that gets bored very easily, and I need loads to do to keep myself occupied. I have more hobbies than most people as a result.

I normally use alcohol to make me feel less bored and happier with every day stuff. For example, alcohol turns mediocre telly into a rip roaring time, and therein lies the problem. Without alcohol I find life very droll and mediocre. Every day things annoy me, TV, current affairs, other people and I even annoy myself to an extent.

The only thing that is better is my sleeping patterns. I really hated the dehydrated feeling and tossing and turning in my sleep when I went to bed drunk.

I don't have a problem with energy levels, I do daily exercise and commute to work on a bike, but I just want this low feeling to go away. I thought exercise was supposed to make you feel good? Not me. Well not at the moment anyway.

Anyone got any advice for me?

Thanks.