View Single Post
Old 04-18-2009, 03:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sara9009
Eclectics Anonymous

I definitely agree with everything that has been said. I am in the process of applying for Social Security Disability because of many degenerative health concerns. They have expedited my case because of the nature of my health problems and it will still take about 6 months for a decision.

SSD eligibility is also based on work credits as well as disability. Have you worked and paid into the system enough to qualify?

I know you feel panicked going into rehab but I think once you are looking at things from a sober frame of mind things will seem clearer. Hopefully, the rehab will be able to sign you up for programs through your state and through the drug companies to help pay for your medication. My sister is a recovering Meth Addict and for about a year she received state health care that paid for her Medical Care and Medication. I know this varies from state to state.

There are also other programs to look into. A lot of states have programs that include child care and living expenses while you go to school for a job that is deemed in critical need of people, such as CNAs.

For me personally, the decision to apply for SSD was a very hard one because it was in effect putting a period at the end of my career which is absolutely not something I wanted to do. I would trade anything for good health and the ability to work. It took a lot of time and counseling for me to accept that I would have to live life with limitations and I would not have the type of career I always thought I would have.