View Single Post
Old 04-18-2009, 01:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I know there is some resources out there that will help with my getting insulin and diabetic supplies its just going to take time to get them started. Time I don't think I have.
Okay, first of all, with no health insurance, go to Catholic Charities, they have offices all over Illinois. It is an initial fee of $15.00. They will get all your diabetic needs, after your Doctor signs their paperwork covered for 6 months. At about 5 months into getting your diabetic needs, go back to Catholic Charities, pay another $15 and do it again. I know this works, have a 1/2 sister in Illinois who had to use them, for quite a while. Their 'turn around time' is about 2 weeks or so depending on how quick your Dr gets his portion of the forms filled out and back to them.

Eventually, years down the road, your Diabetes as it progresses will make you eligible for SSI. Get your meds set up. Get into rehab and get some tools. After rehab I would suggest a Sober Living House, again you will have to do some research, and if that is your young one in your avatar, yes there are Sober Living Houses that do allow mothers to have their children with them.

SLH's are great ways to start to 'learn' how to LIVE sober and slowly re-enter 'the world' and become a responsible working citizen. You have a roof over your head, usually pretty nice accomodations. You get a job, really one of any kind, won't be your dream job, but will start you learning once again how to be responsible, show up on time for work, pay your bills, etc. Also, while in the SLH I believe you can get "Medicaid" for your child and you for your diabetes and other medical issues, based on low and/or no income.

Keeping your diabetes medications coming if foremost. Rehab next, and then take it from there.

As a side note ............................. Illinois is one of the HARDEST STATES to get disability. That same 1/2 sister, 2 years younger than I, applied long before I did, based on her Diabetes and Congestive Heart Failure and it took her 2 years longer than I to get her disability.

There are ways for you to go to get what you need and it isn't Social Security. SS is NOT the easier, softer, way.

Hope the above helps.

Love and hugs,