View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 06:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
serenityqueen
Attitude of Gratitude

I was just granted Social Security Disability for Medical Conditions . . . as a matter of fact, I just got the official letter today. Throughout the process, I had spoken with people from Social Security numerous times. During one of the conversations, I asked the Representative if they grant Disability for addicts/alcoholics anymore. She said absolutely not! Like laurie said, you can get it for mental health issues, but it's not as easy as people want it to be.

You have to have a long history of serious, mental health conditions that you have been in treatment for during this time. Not only do they need all records from the doctors/psychiatrists/psychologists you have seen, you will be sent to a Dr. that the state chooses who will evaluate you.

In today's Society, unless someone has a serious, chronic medical condition, it is nearly impossible to get on Disability. I know several people who got on Disability years ago for drug/alcohol addiction. Not one of these people have been able to build up any significant amt of clean time. They admit that once the government said,"Ok, you can't work because you're an addict," they got the mindset that they couldn't work, couldn't stop using . . . they felt like they were branded as a hopeless drunk or dope fiend.

I used for 32 years and I don't believe anyone should be on Disability for these reasons alone. Once I had a few months in Recovery, getting a job was one of the best things I ever did for my Recovery. I learned responsibility, self respect, my self esteem grew, I felt like a worthwhile member of society, I was extremely proud to be earning my own money rather than someone giving it to me.

I think by telling yourself that you can't work due to alcohol or drug addiction is just a cop out. I'm sorry, it's my opinion. I put myself through hell for 25 of those 32 years that I used. I was able to work when I got into Recovery. . . .just like millions and millions of other people.

Your first job(s) after getting clean and sober doesn't have to be anything with serious responsibilites, it doesn't have to be full time. Many people's first job is a get well job. Just something to reintroduce them back into the work force.I hate to see anyone tell themselves that they can't do something just because they are an addict/alcoholic. Once I got in Recovery, the sky's the limit! The only reason I am not working now is due to chronic medical disabilities. I hated to have to stop working. For the first time in my life, I looked forward to getting up and going to work each day. Once that demon of active addiction was silenced, my entire world changed.

Yours can too.

God Bless,
Judy