View Single Post
Old 04-12-2009, 01:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
prodigal

I've been through it with my cousin, who was diagnosed paranoid-schizophrenic. I have also been through it with AH. The laws vary according to each state's statutory code. In Arizona, where I currently live, I could not get AH committed because his psychological state was being influenced by alcohol abuse. Now if I had been living in South Dakota, it would have been grounds for commitment.

In other words, in Arizona, if somebody is behaving like a psychotic maniac and drinking like a fish, they cannot be committed. I assume it is based on the fact that a judge would need to be able to determine if a psychiatrist's assessment of the patient was based on the patient being insane without any addictive agents possibly causing the mental instability.

I currently don't have accesss to Lexis. If I did, I could pull up the state code for you and conduct a search. How about trying to google it?

With regard to my cousin, he was hearing voices. However, he was not harming himself, nor was he of any imminent harm to other people. That is an important criteria for committing a person, as a rule. With a concerted effort, his younger brother was able, after a year of fighting with the courts, to get my cousin institutionalized.

Forge google. I just pulled out my Bluebook. It's the "bible" for all legal writing because without it, we couldn't write legal papers with proper citation. Here is the address for the Minnesota court system, according to my Bluebook: Minnesota Judicial Branch. I hope that helps you. You should be able to locate the Minnesota statutes.