View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 10:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Shellslove
Friend

Well, I think it's awesome that you've noticed the cortisone shots working and decided to come off the opiates...that's a good sign. I mean, I know there's other factors involved, and there seems to be some major addict thinking there...but hey! you gotta start somewhere! My fiance is on MMT but also takes the methadone for pain management (he's got severe degenerative disk disease) - I don't know too much about tapering, but I do know it has a much longer half-life, hence it stays in your body longer so the w/d may or may not be drawn out (I think this honestly depends on the individual person.) Anyways, it sounds like going to a quicker round of short-acting opiates might be a good bet....but I'm no doctor...and I hate to say it...but you really need to talk to yours.

I know you won't like the way it sounds, but it seems since this doctor is already reluctant to rx the methadone for pain management, it would be in your best interest (the recovering you, not the addict you) to 'rat yourself out' to her. That way you know that you have to come off the methadone no matter what, putting a roadblock in your drug abuse. If you reallllllllly don't feel comfortable, try another doctor or addictionologist. Honestly, don't mess with this - you're mixing opiates and dosing yourself and it's a bad idea. Self-medicating and doctor shopping is kinda what got you here in the first place, ya know? If you're serious about recovery, you should really talk to a doctor about treatment options and some type of program for your recovery! keep posting too