View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 02:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Mr B

Originally Posted by Kallista View Post
It's not uncommon for alcoholics/addicts to have co-morbid personality disorders.
Indeed. There is a correlation between people with personality disorders or other mental health issues, and addiction. But where there is a drug addiction then it can be very hard to identify any co-morbid issues, let alone deal with them, until the addiction is dealt with.

I know that my AXGF shows very strong Borderline Personality Disorder traits when she's drinking. And addiction problems are commonplace with those who have BPD. But then when she's been sober for a few weeks, those traits largely disappear. Maybe she does have BPD and she can just hide it better when she's not drinking. Maybe she doesn't have BPD, and it's sheer coincidence that her behaviour while drinking regularly matches BPD symptoms....

I don't know. To be frank, I don't see it as any of my business and I'm not qualified to judge anyway. My involvement extends to "Do I find her behaviour acceptable to me or not?" and leave the emotional / psychological / neurochemical reasons that may drive those behaviours to someone else.

Mr B.