View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 06:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
sailorjohn

Originally Posted by Still Waters View Post
I ran across an interesting article, and thought some of you might appreciate it. I won't post the link here, since it's politically related and I feel that's inappropriate here. If you want the link, send me a private message.

As many of you know, dealing with a dry drunk is not an easy task, but after reading this I'm convinced that my A's problems are much much deeper.

100% true of my husband.

Descriptions of typical narcissistic behavior:

Check

Yes.

Definitely.

Definitely.

This is my husband to a T.

Exactly what mine does. The lies just floored me.

This would explain why if I had a headache, he did too. If I had a cold, he was coming down with one too. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

They have absolutely no sense of humor when it comes to themselves. None.

Uh hunh.

Always the victim.

I didn't list them all, but these all describe my A, and from what I understand, narcissism is rarely curable.

Something else I didn't cause, I can't control, and I can't cure. But, I like to know things and found this interesting.
Problem is, per the opinion of someone that knows a little more about the whole alcoholism/mental illness angle:

"It is also extremely difficult to even diagnose whether or not a person has a mental illness in addition to alcoholism, if that person is still drinking. The alcohol-induced crazy behavior must be at least somewhat abated by sobriety, in order correctly assess the patient".(Many people have been incorrectly diagnosed as "mentally ill"-when in fact they have alcohol-induced behaviors that mimic mental illness.)

Toby Rice Drews

Just my experience, fwiw, I spent a long time trying to figure out what was wrong with my ex, convenient way of taking the focus off my own 'issues', and in any event, if she didn't get clean nothing would ever change for her, mentally ill or not.