Old 03-01-2009, 10:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
kurtrambis

Originally Posted by trucker View Post
Interesting research and thanks for posting that.

This is MY EXPERIENCE..

For me recovery is a loaded word...

It means becoming a functional happy and content human being to me.

Not drinking has little to do with recovery to me..

Abstinance is not drinking...i could do that....for a fashion.

But is wasnt till i grasped the steps with as much passion as i grasped a beer that i managed to "Recover"

In fact working the steps for me seldom has anything to do with booze.

Its more to do with what was left of me after booze.

That may be confusing to some but not to me.

I believe i am a recovered alcoholic.....not just because i dont drink.

I believe its cos i work the steps.......

When i finally stopped drinking i was left with a shell of a person unable to cope with life on lifes terms.

I had all the traits of a active alcoholic....but i wasnt drinking.

All of my recovery depends on a adherance to the 12 steps....to the best of my ability.

A contact with god as i understand him.

Continue to pass on what worked for me to other alcoholics...IF THEY WANT TO LISTEN.........

Thats how it is for me guys............id be interested to hear your way.

trucker.
Yes agree there's no point in being sober and unhappy. If you do the steps brings you serenity fantastic.

I just don't see what this has to with what I have said, unless you are insinuating the classic AA comment that I have heard on numerous occasions that people who are sober without AA aren't happy.

This argument is completely unsubstantiated, its the reason AA is often described as cult like.

Personally I have seen people who do the program who are miserable and I know recovered alcoholics out of AA who are very happy.

If you are not trucker, then the above comment doesn't apply to you and I wish you long term sobriety.