Old 02-17-2009, 04:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

Well you have the honesty which for me was one of the major keys to sobriety to me, you also have the willingness.

You also have a fear of rejection, oh how I can relate..... I to fear rejection, not for the same thing as you, but any type of rejection. Fear of rejection is normal.

I will tell you what I know of AA in my area, one of my sponsee's is an agnostic with strong aethiest leanings according to him, I have never seen anyone reject him, I didn't! Like you he had a great fear of rejection when he aproached me to be his sponsor, he was totally honest and told me "I am an agnostic, is that going to present an issue?" ("He did not have the aethiest leaning then.), I told him that as far as I was concerned it didn't, as long as he was willing to go to any lengths to stay sober we were good to go. He did find a Power greater then himself, what it was I have no idea, none of my business, when it came to step 2 & 3 we worked through it just fine. He usually remains silent when we pray and simply joins in the circle, no one has ever said a word to him about not praying.

In my area most of the folks in AA do not question others about thier HP or lack there of, it is not something that is any of our business. There are a few folks that feel if you do not beeive as they do you will have issues, but they are few and far between, we stick with AA's primary purpose........ To stay sober and to help others achieve sobriety! That is it.

As others have said, go and listen, try and relate into instead of out of. Yes you will hear the word God mentioned, I say it, but simply for simplicity, I am not religous, my God does not fit the definition of a Christian, Muslim, Jewish or any other faiths God, it is a God of my understanding, a Power greater then myself.

BTW one of the best speakers I ever heard was an aethiest, he spoke at length of how even as an aethiest he had been able to find a Power greater then himself that he understood and had even worked the steps. One of the neatest things he shared was that one of his sponsees was a minister.