Old 02-17-2009, 02:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ForeverDecember
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Can you do AA without believeing in any God or higher power?

I know that there are a lot of other groups who tout this, however I'm very limited to who I can turn to for help, and everything I've seen from AA is attractive to me - exept for the God/Higher Power. My bottom line is that I want (need) to stop drinking. I think meeting and speaking with other alcoholics will help me alot. I am worried, though, that because I don't believe in God, or any other higher power that they will reject me. (And I think a lot of alcoholics have problem with rejection, not just me )

I really want to be able to speak to people who can explain to me what I'm going through. Why I feel like there is a gorilla on my back, talk me through the bad times when all I want to do is drink until everything goes away. But I am afraid that if I go to AA they might feel betrayed by me because I don't believe. I went to one meeting a few years ago and it scared me into the bottle shop on the way home.

I want to quit and think AA can help, but I can't ever commit to a God or Higher Power. I made myself a drinker, not God. I don't want to go to these meetings and have the people there feel betrayed because I can't believe in God or a HP.

Are the other members of these groups likely to feel that way towards me?

All I want it to get better.