Old 01-31-2009, 12:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Isaiah
Dismember

Learned something new at an AA meeting today.

Having 30 years in the program means you have the right to table talk, call someone with less than 24 hours an "idiot" for falling slack on meetings, the right to cut people short if you feel they're going on to long, and to change the table's topic if you think it should be X and not Z.

Sorry, I know sarcasm and griping is not effective, but I'm just a bit appalled at what I heard today. To hear someone come back on their own will and to hear them say "I came here for support, not to be interrogated" is not only frustrating but worrysome.

I don't know. I guess I need some advice on what to do. This guy is at AA meetings all around town. I have seen him compel newcomers to walk out of meetings. He is terrible with table talk and cutting people off. Others and myself have asked him to please follow protocol, but he just retorts with the "I've been here longer than you all."

My thing has just been to avoid his tables. Today he sort of snuck in and I didn't want to leave the group I was with just for his presence. But I know I and others are really fed up with his attitude and his reckless insulting of newcomers.

Has anyone had any experience in dealing with someone of this sort? I don't intend to act alone. I have a bit of a short fuse and would probably just end up cussing him out to no avail. But it shouldn't have to be that three of us needed to go talk to the new guy in the parking lot to ask him not to expect that at every meeting.

I know well that we're powerless over "people, places and things." But I don't think that means just accepting this guy for who he is, especially when so many people walk out and leave meetings pissed. Doesn't mean we don't try, right?