Old 01-22-2009, 05:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
splendra
the girl can't help it

This is a subject I see come up a lot in circles such as ours. Some believe addiction is a lot like sociopathy especially when it comes to behavior. It can become a question of which came first the chicken or the egg. Are their behaviors addictive or are they sociopaths?

I have a brother who is just the sweetest guy when he is clean and the most uncaring, you know what when he is using. My sister is the same way.

I do believe there are some who are actual sociopaths but not all. Addiction does not care about anything but staying obsessed to seek the drug of choice like a sociopath almost nothing will stand in the way of getting what they want.

I do believe that a sociopath has very little chance of changing. If they care that they are hurting others they probably are not a sociopath. A sociopath will only care about hurting others to the extent that it keeps them from achieving their goals.

I believe many addicts do get clean because they do care very much about how they are affecting the people they love as well as they damage they are doing to them selves.