Old 12-10-2008, 06:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
goat012002

Alcoholics feel physically wretched during a hangover, but they also feel deeply and profoundly ashamed. From past experience, they know better, but they got drunk anyway -- why? Ignorant of the powerful workings of the addiction, the alcoholic can only blame himself. Remorse, self-loathing, and guilt therefore go hand in hand with the throbbing headache and queasy stomach ... "... the emotional pain which accompanies them -- the guilt, anxiety, self-accusation, the sense of hopelessness and despair ..." ... a very real and very painful physiological disorder.

I'd say that sums up my hangovers guys. I've been toying with the idea that I may have a "problem" for some time. I'm always "that guy" at the christmas party.....when the guys are over for hockey I'm the "bottomless beer pit"....and now about 6 months ago I had a panic attack which has turned into full on anxiety to where I take Lexapro. I'm starting to connect the dots. The alcohol use (read ABUSE) has lead to a serious psychological dilemma. Its tough to call yourself "crazy" or an "alcoholic".....but I may be at the breaking point where I'm willing to call myself one. Being able to go a week without drinking and then getting completely drubbed is, I now realize, just as much the disease alcoholism as the guy that has vodka with breakfast every day. Oy....where to start.......