Old 12-08-2008, 04:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ChadDJC

To all,

thank you so much for your replies and for your support.

Mr B, I still can't get over how similar my situation is to yours. I'm very sorry for what you had to go through, but I am forever grateful that you shared with me these difficult times you had to go through.

Unfortunately my gf is currently traveling for a month (which was planned before we met) so we won't have a serious conversation for a while. Her being away, me being alone I guess, really gave me the opportunity to look back at the times we had and realize how serious her problem had become. Once she's back, dealing with this issue will be my first priority. I plan on sitting down with her, discussing it, and even possibly reading to her not only the message I wrote on this board (to show her how I feel about it) but most importantly the things each and everyone of you have said about this disease. Hopefully, it will open her eyes once and for all. As many of you have said, she's the only person who can help herself, and the recovery will start when she's ready. Hopefully this will make her realize not only the pain I go through, but more importantly the danger that it poses to her well-being and her future. Mr B, when you say "She used to be so beautiful, and - most of the time - so graceful, full of life and fun. She's barely recognisable these days", this is what strikes me the most. This is what I fear most about this, seeing the woman I love deteriorate before my eyes...

At the end of the day, if she decides not to deal with this, I will have to be strong, walk away and erase her from my life. I'm too young to get involved in such a relationship...

Again, thank you all for your advice and support. Mr B, are you ok with me sharing your story with my gf? I truly hope she will see the similarities between her and your ex.