View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 08:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RufusACanal

Good thread Ago. Disagreement can start the best possible process; learning. Without dissenting opinions, life would be dull. It seems that human nature is all about questioning; wanting to why something is or is not. At least for this human being. I truly enjoyed your comments about the least used phrases in the Big Book being the most poignant and vastly important to all of the recovering community; love and tolerance, by the grace of God, a desire to stop drinking to name a few. Controversy comes when any of our fellowship cloaks their ego with self-righteous indignation. I have been one to do this and readily admit that it feels really good on occasion and maybe that's why defects are so hard to give up, I find a way to justify unkind or even inappropriate behavior especially when it feels good. Do I do this with the Big Book; probably. I refer to the Book continuously, because I was taught and later found the solution to living free contained within its pages, so I am a Big Book advocate. I also know that I have more to learn and hopefully experience in life, yet the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous is my guide to living. Others may use a different text as the basis for their life guidance; I chose to use this book because of the results in my life.