View Single Post
Old 11-30-2008, 01:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
madriley

Wow rocketdriver. Is this your first time trying to come off of the oxycontin?

I was hooked on Oxy's for about 6 years and tried numerous times to stop. But my will and my mind were never strong enough. I was also never really ready to say that was the end. Anyway, I finally got onto a Suboxone program which helped with the physical w/d and I was able to function like a completely normal person while I gave myself time to come to terms with the rest of the problems in my life (which led to me becoming an addict). Anyway, the Suboxone gave me that time away from the Oxy's to make my resolve stronger as far as that. My downfall was that I did not ready myself to get off of the Suboxone so from that I went to Methadone which only prolonged my recovery another 2 years.

I strongly suggest speaking with your doctor and letting him know what you are planning to do. It is possible to quit the Oxy's cold turkey but I would not recommend it to anyone, especially if you can get help from your doctor, your success rate will increase significantly. You should also have a plan set up as far as how you will manage your pain once you are no longer taking the Oxy's. If your doctor does not specialize in pain management and addiction, you can probably find someone in your area by looking on the internet.

I do not envy where you are at right now, just reading your post made me catch my breath remembering the w/d I would go through when I would stop taking the Oxy's (I was on about 320mg a day). It is possible but again, if you do not have to do it alone, please don't.

Stuff to help with the w/d: Immodium AD for the diarrhea, tylenol or advil for the aches and pains, many many hot showers and bathes for the chills and aches, whatever helps you sleep- for me, I have never really been affected by any of the sleeping meds except valium so I found this tea called Celestial Seasonings Sleepy Time, I don't know why but this tea has me sleeping better than I ever have in my life, and I have always had sleep issues. Come onto this forum as often as possible. Most times just writing out how you are feeling or what you are going through helps your mind to sort through it all.

Good luck, it does get better, I know it is hard to keep telling yourself that as you feel awful but one day at a time and before you know the worst of the w/d are over and you are on your way to recovery!!!