View Single Post
Old 11-08-2008, 11:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
cassandra2

Do impact letters really do any good? I will be curious as to what happens after he reads the letter.

The reason I ask is because my 13 yr old daughter wrote an impact letter to my ex and I havent given it to him because I really dont think it will do any good. I may be wrong but I just dont feel at this time it is right to give them a letter when they are in active addiction.

Everyday that he lets pass without contacting the kids just confirms to me that he isnt in the frame of mind to let a letter impact him. The way I look at it is outta site outta mind. I read her letter to him and cried. I could feel her pain in her words but he has blocked that his pain so well that I dont even think he could feel her pain.

I know in interventions the families usually write impact letters but if you watch the show it isnt the letters that breaks them to go for help its being cut off. The enablers tell them that they arent going to do this or that for them any longer.

I think you should write the letter for you. I think that it helps to get it off of your chest but I am not sure what if any effect it will have on an active addict. Maybe someone on here has done the same and has a different take on it.