View Single Post
Old 11-07-2008, 05:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
outtolunch

Impact letters/ statements are sometimes used during interventions. It sounds like this is turning into an "in rehab intervention", given his lack of engagement. The counselor is looking for leverage.

My daughter went through a similar period. She asked for my help but was not open to making effort towards her own recovery.

I had snagged her ID/passport when she was admitted and that became the leverage. She had no ID, no money or access to money and was 3000 miles from home. At the two month mark, she finally surrendered to the process.

Looking back, on that not too distant experience, my daughter's time in rehab probably saved my life. She was in a safe place while I found this forum and began to learn ( with tremendous insight from this forum) to control the only thing I could, my own reaction to her addiction. I remain a work in progress.

I digress. As I see it, the objective of an impact letter is to convey to the addict the impact his addiction has had on others. It also includes consequences if the addict does not agree to enter rehab or in your case, engage in the program.

Ultimately, you have to give him the dignity to accept or reject the opportunity and if necessary follow through on the consequences.