View Single Post
Old 11-03-2008, 01:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
psyk0

Getting pregnant to get sober

(I already posted this on the 12 step forum, and was told it might be better off overhere, so here goes )

There is this girl I know who is an alcoholic, she drinks a lot of beer and wine every day and also takes amfetamines (every 4 days or so).
Now she wants to get pregnant because she "knows" it's the only way she'll stop.
I've seen this before, and when she's pregnant within a month she's drinking and using again, dumps the boyfriend and has an abortion. This has happened 3 times during the past 2 years.

She has a new boyfriend now and he doesn't want children yet. Now her plan is to get pregnant by him as soon as possible.... hoping he will accept it and take care of the baby.

How should I approach her?
She's definitely going through with this, and she's been drinking and using for so long, that if getting pregnant would make her stop as a last desperate attempt I could understand it (from her point of view).
But it won't work, I know it won't, she'll just end up having another abortion and another ex boyfriend to add to the list. Either that or she'll drink and drug throughout the pregnancy like she did the last time (about six months ago) when she ended up having a miscarriage in bed in the middle of the night.

I really care for her and I just want to save her.
There is no point in telling her she's been through all this before and is making the same mistake again because she really doesn't listen and will tell me "this time it's going to be different". She's highly convinced it will.

Any tips on what to say to her?