View Single Post
Old 10-08-2008, 10:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
LucyA

Taking my mum was sort of one last ditch effort to show my mum she's really doing harm to my brother, rather than helping him. I'd mentioned I was looking for a meeting a while back, and she said she might be interested in coming. I actually never thought she'd get as far as she did today, but she did. I admit I did want her to hear things from someone else, I think the guy from AA was 'meant' to be there so she could hear him, and also so I could hear him and see my mum wasn't actually listening to anyone, not just not listening to me. She knows what she wants, and it's the same as we all want really, but she can't see past that yet.

I felt so welcome at this meeting that I think I'll make every effort to get there every week, other meetings around here are difficult for me as I have the three kids and all the other meetings are evening ones, I work odd shifts and I like to spend free evenings with the boys, also transport is difficult, it took me five hours in total to go to the one today, so evening isn't really an option at the moment. I will try others though when I can.

As for sharing openly, that was only something I thought of after my mum said she would come today. I know I would never be able to share in front of my mum, not fully anyway. So I think it's best for me that she has decided it's not for her yet.

I would say though, to anyone who's wavering, go, give it a try. Al anon wouldn't have been for me 12 months ago, but I think it is now.