Old 09-09-2008, 10:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
kj3880

Didn't show up in mine, and I have a high-powered clearance...so good luck. My doc told me it would only show up if they were testing specifically for it, and that is done usu. only if they suspect it. And why would they suspect that anyways? In my experience, it really is hard to tell if someone is taking it unless they are taking a real heavy dose, like 16 mg. Then they do seem a little bit spacey and sleepy, at least the two I know who are on that dose.

But no, it shouldn't show up unless you are like, trying out for the olympics. It doesn't get tested for at most randoms and employment screens, including most police, fire dept, and etc. I would probably list it on the drug screen list if it was a normal job, like something administrative, cashier, accounting, or clerical. I don't think they could discriminate against you for it in those type of jobs. And most people who aren't addicts and don't deal with addicts don't know what bupe is. They wouldn't likely look into it, esp. if you put it in a list with tylenol and claritin, for example.

But, maybe I wouldn't tell if I was going for a job where driving, shooting, or stuff like that was required, because they might be able to not hire you based on the fact that it could be considered as a medication that makes you sleepy (really if you are on the most common doseage, and you are used to the medication, that doesn't pose "sleepy" problems for most of us) In that case, if it was me, I would hold onto my prescription and only bring it out if it was discovered. Then I would say I was taking it off-label for depression, which it is being clinically tested for in trials. I would say that I was part of the trials for it. But that's just the strategy that my doc and I worked out, you should talk to your doc to work out your own. It's important to have options ahead of time, I think, just for your peace of mind.
KJ