View Single Post
Old 09-07-2008, 07:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

I'm a recovering crack addict. I do understand that you love him and want to help him, but I can promise you...the best way to help him is to let him be accountable for his own actions.

Yes, money is a trigger, but I could look at almost ANYTHING as a trigger when I was using...feeling good? smoke crack. Feeling bad? smoke crack. Got money? smoke crack. Someone getting on my nerves? smoke crack.....get the picture?

Some people can do better, initially, by having someone control their money, but I haven't seen this work for long. Resentments build on both sides.

I left my XABF because he was still using, so I know both sides of the fence. You may think this is you're fight, too, but you will learn it is a losing battle. Most of us only learn this the hard way.

I do totally agree with supporting someone in recovery, and they're actions show recovery. But as long as someone can use, even occasionally, and still have a nice, soft place to land, they usually have no incentive to get clean.

FWIW I got clean for quite a while, but did not deal with my addictive thinking or behaviours. Then I used "occasionally"..maybe once a month for a while, but then wanted it more frequently. Got clean again. Then I relapsed for only 8 days, but it was long enough to lose almost everything, including my life.

There are some wonderful people here, and when they tell you to focus on you, they are so right.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy