View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 08:12 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Gmoney
Evolving Addict

Cupcake,

First of all...let me welcome you to SR and the Narcotics Addiction 12 Step Forum. This forum is basically a forum where we discuss issues related to Narcotics Anonymous and the 12 Steps of NA.

Apparently, you and I have a quite different understanding of the NA program. That's okay, but I am curious as to why your remarks are directed at others instead of speaking for yourself? And some of the stuff you're saying doesn't make sense.

Step #8 annd #9 is not about you, it never was.
Not true. All the steps are about MY personal recovery and step work is a personal endeavor. I work the steps so that I can get better...not for anyone else. Here's what NA says about step 8:

"Step eight is the test of our newfound humility. Our purpose is to achieve freedom from the guilt that we have carried." - Basic Text, page 36

"This step is doing the legwork to repair the wreckage of our lives...By writing our list, we can no longer deny that we caused harm." - Basic Text, Page 37

"The Main thing this step does for us is to help build awareness that, little by little, we are gaining new attitudes about ourselves and how we deal with other people." _ Basic Text, page 38

And step 9 tells us:

"We try to remember that when we make amends to the best of our ability, we are doing it for ourselves. Instead of feeling guilty and remorseful, we feel relieved about our past." - Basic Text, page 40

So...if doing steps 8 & 9 aren't for the person working them, please tell me who is it about?

Your shortcomings are the results of your defects. It's not the same.
Really? Do you have a dictionary? If not, you can always look up what these words mean online. Dictionary.com Also, your understanding of NA steps could be assisted by reading NA literature. Why don't you give it a try?

And also...it would be a good idea if you'd keep your sharing focused on your own experiences instead of pointing the finger or assuming what others have gone through.