Old 06-25-2008, 01:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
sugErspun

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I know this isn't your test Adam - but wouldn't this be more a exercise in behavorial psychology?

I know people who aren't alkies who'd go eff it at being so arbitrarily controlled - if the 'subjects' already have an identified drinking problem it doesn't prove much to me.

D
Yes - this would be for someone who has a drinking problem. In AA an alcoholics are described (physically speaking only here) as a distinct entity who break out in 'craving' when alcohol is introduced to their system, non-alcoholics never experience this. No one is subjecting to this test to one who isn't willing and trying their hardest to not have more than the suggested amount.

For instance - if a Dr wants to find out if one is allergic to peanuts, what would the test be? Present some peanuts to the body of the subject and look for a correalation (rash/hives etc). Alcoholics - present the alcohol to the body (the amount is different for everyone) - and craving breaks out (just like a rash) as the correalation. Once that craving is on - the subject will not stop until they pass out or another outside force (jail maybe??) makes alcohol unavailable.

So, far the non-alkies, maybe if we say I will pay you $100 a day to allow someone else to control the amount of alcohol you take per day - they probably wouldn't say 'F it'. Right? There are some people who aren't sure if they have this allergy or not - this test will bring it out. As we are talking life and death here - let me reiterate "I have HEARD of this test being done ONCE- I have never suggested it myself, I haven't come across that case yet."

It may appear to be a behavioral test - but when the big book suggests that someone go to the nearest barroom and try some controlled drinking - it is a test of this physical manifestation, not of behavior. Behavior, in this case, is secondary to what is being sought out.

As a footnote - please understand that I come from an angle where there is a distinct difference between someone with a drinking problem and an alcoholic. The OP asked specifically about this test, which I have some knowledge on. I did not post to argue if it's right/wrong/good or bad.

It's not uncommon when meeting someone new (in AA) - "Have you ever tried to control your drinking? Tell me about it" - that usually is sufficient to make a start, but everyone is different.