View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008, 07:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
BohemiMamaof3

I remember that I once suspected my ABrother of being a sociopath. I even read a few books that some folks around here recommended. He had never had any long-term recovery under his belt back then, so it was hard to differentiate between the alcoholism and any other problems or issues. Now that he’s been sober for almost a year and a half, I don’t think so. I think he has problems & issues aplenty, but he doesn’t seem like a sociopath or as UTTERLY self-centered and narcissistic as when he was driven and muddled by all the years of alcohol and drugs, and their lingering effects. As for your friend, it’s hard to say. If he’s being honest about the diagnosis, then he’s dangerous. Or it could be some kind of a-drama, or an excuse too, as someone said above. The best thing you can do is educate and protect yourself.

Otis- I don't know if you can see it, but if you scroll down to the bottom of this page it will have a few similar threads that you might find helpful. They have book and resource links and some good info.

Last edited by BohemiMamaof3; 05-01-2008 at 07:08 AM. Reason: typos! And one more thing...