View Single Post
Old 04-05-2008, 04:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
prodigal

He was affected by your drinking and he became every bit as sick as you. As a codie myself, I think codepenency is an inappropriate term for my problem; coaddicted is more in line with my behavior and actions. The last time my husband came out of rehab, I was one mean and ornery woman. Why? Because that was the role in which I was comfortable. I was used to being the "righteous" one who suffered (martyr) because of his drinking and held our lives together and fixed his messes (victim). I also felt superior to him when I informed him how his drinking had ruined OUR lives (persecutor).

When I started working my own program and minding my own business, I was able to start dealing with my anger issues. The finger pointing stopped. The arguments stopped. The accusations stopped. My husband went back to drinking and continues to drink. His choice. His problem. None of my business.

When your husband asks you if you have been drinking or drugging, I'd suggest you simply say, "No I have not." If he persists and starts arguing, just leave the room. If he follows you, leave the house. Go to a meeting. Call your sponsor. Call your best friend. Whatever. I found that a lot of the uproar in my home ceased when I implemented these strategies.

Congratulations on your sobriety. I admire your commitment to remaining sober!