View Single Post
Old 04-05-2008, 01:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
mle-sober
mle-sober

Husband suspicious - how do I respond?

I am a sober alcoholic - 64 days today. I'm absolutely committed to my program, am doing an outpatient program, attend AA meetings regularly and post and ready frequently here in the Newcomers to Recovery area (I think that's that it's called.)

My husband has attended maybe 6 Al-Anon meetings and feels uninsprired by them and has indicated that he's not going to go many more times. Recenty, he has said he forgives me for lying to him about my drinking. But he very clearly is still angry at me. He says he feels manipulated and betrayed. My lying was about alcohol only - just to be clear (not to minimize) I wasn't lying about other things or having affairs or anything. We have been in seperate bedrooms every since day 1 of my sobriety.

I am trying to give my husband the space and time he needs to heal. There are only so many ways and times I can say I'm sorry. He used to give me breath tests whenever he had suspicions but he's stopped that recently - when he told me he forgave me. We are both in therapy.

Here's my problem and question: When he comes home and thinks I have been drinking or doing drugs (which I never did) and says I'm acting strange, what is the best way for me to respond? I am not drinking. I'm not on anything. He is insistant that something is wrong and he gets angry and upset. I apologize, try to reassure him, etc. I have no idea what I should do. What do you think? Help please.