Old 03-17-2008, 01:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
mtnmagic

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I don't have personal experience with oxy except for the fact that I'm watching it absolutely ruin my son's life. I have watched him turn into an absolute monster on the stuff. I have witnessed exactly what you describe when he desperately tries to quit. I know that it has turned from getting high to chasing away the horrible withdrawals. Last week he finally admitted to me that he is snorting it in quantities that you have described. His behavior is that of a person I don't recognize anymore. I would do anything if he would be willing to go to a doctor and admit what is going on and seek assistance to get off of the stuff. Unfortunately he hasn't hit his bottom yet.

Your sharing gives me hope tonight. Please know that you have taken great strides to do the right thing for yourself. Try to continue to stay honest and follow your Doctor's direction. Take this one day at a time. Having your Dad monitor your dosage is wonderful. The addict in you might look for excuses as to why this won't work, or why you might need more. Keep the lines of communication open. Tell on yourself if you are not doing ok for whatever reason. Not being able to quit cold turkey doesn't mean you are weak in any way. What you have done for yourself so far has taken incredible courage. So much courage it takes my breath away and as I said gives me new hope for my own son's eventual recovery.

I wish I had more to offer you right now. Please keep posting. Let us know how you are doing. I'm sure there will be others that will be along soon with very good suggestions on how you can help yourself to your best advantage in recovery.

I myself am in early recovery for alcoholism. I go to AA, use this forum and focus on doing the best I can each day by staying sober. While I can't do anything to force my son to seek help, I figure that by being the best example I can be might eventually be a tipping point for him to see that there are options out there for him to change his own life. Thanks again. You really touched my heart.