View Single Post
Old 02-26-2008, 09:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bluejay6

active addiction creates unacceptable behavior.

but other illnesses also create it, including major depressive disorder, borderline personality disorder, bipolar disorder.....a long list.

major depression lasts an average of one year and can create behavior that looks very much like addiction. many relationships are destroyed by untreated depression because the couple did not know that was what created the profound personality changes.

not all unacceptable behavior is the result of someone being a jerk. or an addict. and some unacceptable behavior goes away when the real illness is medically treated.

this is not to suggest clinical depression is the problem in this situation. i just feel i need to speak out for those who suffer personality changes --mood swings, anger, isolation, blaming, despair--and need, in fact, support and medical care and patience, not judgment, not rejection.

sometimes we don't know that another person is truly ill. it is good to keep an open mind as we seek out more information and try to get a better picture as we make our choices.

my son suffered major depression for 2 years. he did not cause it, and he suffered terribly. his personality changed.

today he is well. he is strong. he is himself. thank God.

just needed to share this.