View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008, 04:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
VanessaLee13

Originally Posted by PaperDolls View Post
I wonder why Seroquel isn't on the list. Is it specifically for insomnia or is it typically used to treat something else.
Seroquel is not specifically a sleep med. It is actually an antipsychotic agent, usually used to treat schizophrenia, but can also treat bipolar or mania disorders.

I have given it to patients a few times for sleep (I'm an RN).

They think it affects the histamine receptors (kind of like with Benadryl) and that's why it makes you sleepy.

A lot of times meds usually used for one thing can have other effects. The "sleeping pill" they prescribed to my RABF in rehab (which he is still taking) was Elavil. Which is actually an antidepressant. I've given that to patients at night too. It kinda has a dual use as an antidepressant and a mild sleep aid. I just thought it was weird that they pretty much gave it to him saying it was a sleeping pill, not even giving him the full info that it actually was an antidepressant that would just help him sleep as well. Kinda feeds the whole addict mentality by saying "here, take this pill, it will make you sleep." Haha.

Vanessa