View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008, 02:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
VanessaLee13

Originally Posted by Barbdee View Post
You should report abuse...but you can't get high off lunesta...it's a sleeping pill...does he sleep all the time? BTW, I tried Rozeram, the non-addictive one and it was totally worthless..a placebo at best. Can't see how anyone could abuse those drugs to get high...only to get low.
Whether or not you can get high off Lunesta, I won't argue. I have never taken a prescription sleeping pill and am not an addict. But you can still abuse it and use it addictive-ly. During my boyfriend's active addiction (prescription painkillers), I had bought a bottle of 100 capsules of Benadryl. It's the only thing I take if I have trouble sleeping. Benadryl is what they put in Tylenol PM to make you sleepy. When I finally went to open the bottle a couple weeks or so later, over half the bottle was gone. MY BF had been taking 4-5 at a time. Yes, it wasn't to get "high", it was to go to sleep, but taking them like that is still an addictive behavior. Maybe you are using the word high to mean from speed/cocaine/etc. But a lot of drugs are CNS depressants, not stimulants. So I can very easily see how someone who enjoys depressants would abuse sleeping pills.
And with Rozerem, I hadn't known how it worked, but someone above said it works through Melatonin receptors. So I am thinking for someone who is used to the sedative effects of a sleeping pill, where you just get knocked out, Rozerem wouldn't work anywhere close to the same/as effectively. I don't know who they are marketing Rozerem to. Maybe it's supposed to be an alternative for people who have never taken sleeping pills. Cause I don't see how someone could go from taking a hypnotic-class sleeping pill to Rozerem and have it work effectively for them. But, again, I don't have any personal experience with taking sleeping pills, so I don't know!
, Vanessa