View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008, 12:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
nandm
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by sugErspun View Post
But also - alcoholism being a progressive disease, I think some poeple make it to AA before they have completely lost choice in the matter..

"Though there is no way of proving it, we believe that early in our drinking careers most of us could have stopped drinking. But the difficulty is that few alcoholics have enough desire to stop while there is yet time. We have heard of a few instances where people, who showed definite signs of alcoholism, were able to stop for a long period because of an overpowering desire to do so."

I think some of these people end up in AA (statistically it is likely), and can stay sober just by building a fellowship with other sober people.

Lastly - "Whether such a person can quit upon a nonspiritual basis depends upon the extent to which he has already lost the power to choose whether he will drink or not"

So it seems to me the notion of 'choice' fades with the progression of the illness. I don't know if that is my case or not, I feel I ran out of choice long ago.

(All references to Alcoholics Anonymous have been qouted from the second edition)
Thank you for your input. I think you put into words what I was trying to say only you did a much better job of it. IMHO, what I highlighted of your post is the key to whether or not one can get by with "half measures" in the program or needs to "go to any lengths." Personally I needed to "go to any lengths" as I had lost my power to choose whether to drink or not.