View Single Post
Old 01-17-2008, 08:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Jfanagle
Another Day in Paradise

AA is a very powerful program and it attracts very desperate people. It has been my observation that when these folks get a few days, weeks, and sometimes months they tend to "carry their glad tidings like a club!" This exuberance by relatively new comers tends to sour some prospective members and they clamor for an "alternative."

AA is much like exercise and healthy eating, the process is daunting and very difficult to maintain after the initial euphoria wears off, but if one sticks with it the results are amazing. Just like those diets and exercises there are always "miracle pills" and wacky diets that we so badly want to believe in so that we won't have to do the work.

I know a few folks who began their sober journey in AA and then replace the formal meetings and structure with some particular religious based belief and it seems to work for them, however the only ones that I know personally did all begin with AA.

My younger brother always felt that rehabs and psychologists and or counselors were the answer and has always been a naysayer regarding AA. I noticed in his case that there always seemed to be a thought pattern that "experts" were going to FIX HIM! He has never attained sobriety and in fact is a very physically damaged individual after falling down the stairs drunk three years ago and breaking his back in 5 places including his neck. This concept of a gentler and softer way just seems to come up lacking based on my own observations.

It is each person's choice how the find not only sobriety, but more importantly happiness. I really don't care to "sell" AA to anyone. If other methods worked long term and for large numbers of people then there will be other places for those who don't want AA. I have had some years now, given to me by AA and the people in it. Put me down for a proponent of AA.

Jon