View Single Post
Old 01-17-2008, 07:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Zanthos

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
Human nature is to say "My program is better then yours!" I really feel a lot more alcoholics would be sober today if they went to AA and for what ever reason got mad and went to "The other Big Program" and stayed sober just out of spite! Just to where they could say "Hah, I told you AA would not work for me, but "The other Big Program" sure does. Then of course there would be folks going to the other program and for what ever reason got mad and went to AA and stayed sober just to where they could say "Hah, I told you "The other Big Program" would not work for me, but AA sure does.
Well, that would produce a whole boatload of dry drunks!

But I do know what you mean. I think. OK, maybe I don't. Because I can't imagine predicating my recovery on proving anything to anyone.

But as far as there being a place, somewhere, where people can stop drinking and stay sober -- regardless of any kind of psychic change or spiritual awakening kind of thing -- I would agree that it's better that alcoholics not drink even if they merely dry than be active. I had my 3 years of being a dry drunk, and for my body and for other reasons, that was so much better than actively drinking. Only thing is, there was a high probability that I would resume drinking again. Which I did.

I suppose though that the "problem" with AA, if you can call it that, is that it is such a radical solution to the problem. It asks what so many alcoholics (like myself for the longest time) are incapable of doing. Surrender. Following suggestions. Belief in and reliance upon a Power other than oneself. Or even stuff like honesty and responsibility.

Of course, alcoholics like me have a very radical problem, so the radical solution is well suited to it. But I had to reach a point of total and utter desperation before I was capable of even considering taking up such a radical solution. Even if it was what I was looking for all along.