View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 07:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sugah
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I didn't understand the psychic change for the longest time. I read about it in the Big Book. On an intellectual level, I understood that it was equal to a spiritual awakening, but other than my level of desire to lead a sober and purposeful life, I had no idea how I could know if I had, in fact, gone through a psychic change.

Then I started to see myself respond differently to all manner of things around me. Strange things. The most profound change was that my mind didn't immediately go to a drink when confronted with difficulty (or joy, or sadness, or anger). But other things, too -- seeing beyond my own selfishness to how my actions might affect others, being able to tell the difference between reasons and excuses, not always having to be right! -- other things that were foreign to the drinking Sug were becoming the new norm, and I remember puzzling over it one day until someone pointed out to me that I had had a psychic change. A woman, non-alcoholic, said to me one day, "I know you're the woman I knew 10 years ago. You look the same, but you don't at all act the same." So I know that it's not "all in my head."

On Saturday, I was at a Gratitude Dinner with about fifty other people, all sober. I looked around the room, a church fellowship hall, and wondered -- if someone were to come in off the street and they were told who we were, would they believe it? Pretty amusing -- and beautiful.

Peace & Love,
Sugah