Thread: Double winners
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2003, 12:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
12stepmarce

Al-Anon membership is for those who have been affected by someone's drinking or sobriety. We do not worry about the affiliation with other 12-step programs. We do ask that all members remain anonymous about their other affiliations and that they try to relate to the family member's perspective.

That's our tradition. Those who leave a meeting because they are uncomfortable are, in effect, uncomfortable with our traditions. Hopefully, they will return.

A strong leader, secretary, or even a member of the group can and should remind people to leave outside affiliations.......outside. With the right atmosphere, this can happen the moment someone shares about their "other" program. It may upset the person......but they won't repeat that one anytime soon. Neither will others sharing.

All of these situations teach me to not avoid conflict when it's for the good of the group. I played the "runaway" game for too long in life. Today, I don't have to do it.

On the "heart" side.......I sponsor double winners and enjoy them immensely. I just couldn't figure out why they left me long messages about what they planned to do that day. *haha (That's an AA deal.....plan out the day. Al-Anons don't have to plan. We have too many plans!)

This weekend I will attend the 20th AA bd of my sponsee. She never fails to share that her life didn't really get fun and joyful until she came to Al-Anon. Today, she's a delight to anyone who meets her. This gal is the kind that even her boss says......."One day, I hope to heck you get MY job."

That's recovery!