View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 12:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
dreamygirl

My ex A husband never did. He drank and drank and drank. He was a DOLL when he was sober, and a monster when drunk. Drank and drove, got DUIs, called me all kinds of names, made threats - and was just a psycho when drunk. We were married 7 months and I left - and we dated for THREE years before and I NEVER knew he was an addict!

He had 4 episodes of bleeding esophageal varices during a period of 9 years - never hit rock bottom.

(Esophageal varices are dilated blood vessels within the wall of the esophagus. Patients with cirrhosis develop Portal Hypertension. When Portal Hypertension occurs, blood flow through the liver is diminished. Thus, blood flow increases through the microscopic blood vessels within the esophageal wall. As this blood flow increases, the blood vessels begin to dilate. This dilation can be profound. The original diameter the of blood vessels is measured in millimeters while the final, fully established, esophageal varix may be 0.5 to 1.0 cm or larger in diameter. These blood vessels then continue to dilate until they become large enough to rupture. When esophageal varices rupture, patients become acutely ill. In fact, 50 percent of patients with esophageal varices will eventually bleed from the varices. The mortality rate for esophageal variceal bleeding, on the first event, is between 40 and 70 percent. Mortality is due to multiple factors: Liver failure, sepsis, exsanguination (also known as bleeding to death), cerebral edema, complications associated with anemia.)

I witnessed him bleed ONCE - it was his 2nd time - and trust me, it is something NO ONE ever wants to witness. He died when he had his 4th episode of EV's 2 years after I fled for my life - most don't make it beyond once.

Alcoholics are always nice when they are sober - but how often is that? If he is violent - save yourself, and leave. Take care of you!