View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 02:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
GiveLove

You cannot help an alcoholic who won't take steps to help himself. He will continue to damage you until you stop allowing him to.

When you have a child, he or she will be exposed to this madness as well, and will join the ranks of the Adult Children of Alcoholics, who carry the burden of that madness. I still wake up from nightmares brought on by the arguing, the shouting, the breaking, the insanity. And I'm 30 years away from it now. Check in over at that forum if you want to see how we turn out. It's not pretty.

For your own sake, and for your child's, I suggest starting by taking tiny small steps to recover your own life, happiness, and sanity. You did not cause his alcoholism, you can't control it, and you can't cure it. All you can do is begin your OWN road to recovery, establish some boundaries and stick to them. SR is a great resource (read the Sticky posts at the top of the forum), as are Al-Anon meetings, and the book Codependent No More by Melody Beattie. They've all helped us. I wish you luck and strength on this road....you deserve better.

Hugs,
GL